Experience the response and feel of an authentic acoustic action
To express yourself musically, you need to form a physical bond with your instrument. In the case of the AvantGrand series, it starts with real wooden keys with a comfortable touch. Then comes the all-important key action, which the AvantGrand series has inherited from Yamaha’s esteemed concert grand pianos. Beneath your fingers you sense the same precise weight and responsiveness, the same scope for expression. To capture every nuance of your performance, Yamaha employs a non-contact optical sensor system that doesn’t affect the feel or performance of the action in any way. Under each key is a continuous optical sensor that captures the speed and depth at which that key is depressed. An additional optical sensor affixed to each hammer shank measures the timing and strength of the hammer hitting the virtual “strings”. This information is instantly translated into a beautifully authentic sound reproduction. The more you play, the more you find yourself becoming one with the piano.
Two world-class grand pianos in one
When it comes to judging piano tone, much depends on personal taste. To help you achieve the tonal palette you desire, Yamaha offers the choice of two world-class grand pianos in one—each with its own unique character to convey the emotion you want to express through a piece of music. At the touch of a button on the AvantGrand N1X, you can opt for authentic sounds sampled either from a Yamaha CFX concert grand or from a Bösendorfer Imperial. As Yamaha’s flagship grand piano, the majestic CFX boasts a wide palette of tonal colors, from sparkling high notes to powerful bass tones. The legendary Bösendorfer, meanwhile, is renowned for its sonorous and rich Viennese sound. Either way, the lifelike sounds of the AvantGrand N1X allow you to explore the outer reaches of your expressive imagination.
Spatial Acoustic Sampling, Spatial Acoustic Speaker System
With the introduction of the AvantGrand, Yamaha ignited a revolution in the approach to sampling recording and playback of the notes of the actual acoustic piano. Treating the sound-board not simply as a point source of sound but as a plane, we took samples at four positions, adding optimum center and rear locations to the traditional left and right. Meanwhile, the AvantGrand’s speaker system has been designed to ensure that this sound is heard best at the playing position. A three-way system featuring woofer, mid-range and tweeter speakers precisely reproduce the rich natural resonance of the soundboard. Even more, each of the low-, mid-, and high-frequency bands has been given its own amplifier to prevent interference between bands. This innovative configuration allows the instrument’s outstanding sound system to reproduce the nuances of each individual note. For even greater sonic accuracy, feature speaker layouts optimized for the size of the instruments.
Virtual Resonance Modeling (VRM)
In a grand piano, strings and sounds resonate throughout the entire body of the instrument producing a rich reverberation that envelops the listener in sound. Not only are the strings you are playing vibrating, but other strings ring as a reaction to ones you play. This is one reason the piano sound is so complex and rich.
This phenomena is reproduced perfectly in the AvantGrand N1X through Virtual Resonance Modeling (VRM) which calculates the various states of the strings for each of the 88 notes on the keyboard from one instant to the next. As a result, the N1X reflects the limitless number of factors inherent in playing an acoustic piano such as which keys are pressed, the strength with which the keys are played and pedal timing.
The authentic feel of a grand piano pedal
The N1X features a damper pedal that recreates the subtle changes in resistance experienced when using a grand piano pedal. What’s more, the N1X's damper pedal allows you to use the same half-pedal techniques that you would with a grand piano, offering detailed control over sustain and reverberation.
A fully immersive headphone experience
Thanks to our advanced binaural sampling* technology, the sound you hear through your headphones is remarkably lifelike. This technology uses piano samples recorded by specialized microphones that capture locational information and other nuances discerned by the human ear. The resulting sound is so natural, so enveloping, that you’ll soon forget you’re even wearing headphones at all. (*CFX Grand Voice only)
Distinctive elegant lines of the grand piano
Yamaha’s N1X embellishes any room with the unique, refined curves of an acoustic grand piano despite being a much more compact musical instrument. We have overlooked no detail in ensuring that it looks and feels just like the real thing, whether you are enjoying its lush tones from a distance or sitting down and playing for yourself.
Intelligent UX and Integration
Behind its simple control panel, the N1X hosts an abundance of connectivity options for maximum functionality and integration with external devices. It can be connected directly to computers and mobile devices via USB, sound and recording systems via audio cables, act as a Bluetooth receiver, and integrate with iOS apps via WiFi.
USB audio recorder
The USB to Device port allows you to connect your USB flash drive and use it as a built-in piano recording studio. You can store your performances directly on the USB flash drive as audio songs. These songs are stored in WAV format, so you can listen back using the keyboard's on-board speaker system, or conveniently play them on a computer, transfer them to a portable media device or upload them to share with friends online.
- Bench: Includes a matching bench. Styles may vary depending on model. BC108BK (Matte Black), BC108DW (Dark Walnut), BC108PE (Polished Ebony), BC108DR (Rosewood)
- 50 Classical Music Masterpieces: Enjoy this compilation songbook of the most popular and beautiful classical piano songs by Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, and many others.
- Headphone Hanger:: A conveniently located hanger under the piano for easy headphone storage.
- Owners Manual: Learn about the features and care of your instrument in this comprehensive manual.
- Power Adapter: PA-300C
- 10 Year Warranty on Acoustic Components and 5 Year Warranty on Digital Components: YAMAHA will, at its option, repair or replace the product covered by this warranty if it becomes defective, malfunctions or otherwise fails to conform with this warranty under normal use and service during the term of this warranty, without charge for labor or materials. Repairs may be performed using new or refurbished parts that meet or exceed YAMAHA specifications for new parts. If YAMAHA elects to replace the product, the replacement may be a reconditioned unit. To learn more about this, and other Yamaha warranties, please visit our website.
- 3 Year Extended Popplers Warranty (no extra charge): We want to be sure you have every confidence when buying a Yamaha premium piano! To be sure, Yamaha is the leader in quality, craftsmanship, and piano technology, and you will can expect many years of trouble-free music making without surprise expenses or repairs. We are so confident in this quality that we are giving you 3 additional years of warranty, beyond the standard 5 year coverage, at NO additional cost…our Popplers Promise to you!
- Free Shipping
- Popplers Piano Trade-Up Program
- Direct Text Support
- Free Warranty Upgrade
- Video Owners Manual (coming soon)
- Financing Promotions
- Remote Video Training with Product Experts
- 15-Day Return Policy